Friday 28 August 2009

It's starting to come together

A couple of weeks ago we managed to acquire 46 concrete pavers on TradeMe, for the total price of $200 (which was a great bargain - most of them are seconds, but that hardly matters in a veggie garden). They're going to make a lovely path between the raised beds.


They're not in their final location just yet, because the ground needs to be levelled a bit in places and then the gaps will be filled with stones and pebbles (I would prefer bark, but I lost that battle) to finish it off. Right now the pavers are just holding the weed mat in place, because it can get very windy at times.

My husband built some more raised beds for me, and I have been gradually buying material to fill them with. It's a real nuisance lugging heavy bags of compost and peat moss from the shops every time we go out, but I'm getting there slowly. The purchase of a small trolley last weekend has made things a lot easier!

A friend donated three raspberry canes to our cause and those are now in situ against the tall fence (they're not really visible in the photo, but they're there alright). This fence gets plenty of sun but also shade in the morning, so I'm hoping the raspberries will enjoy their location. My friend already gave us raspberry canes a few months ago but they were mistreated, overgrown by weeds, and ultimately met their demise, so I have promised to do better with these ones!

No comments:

Post a Comment