Saturday 27 February 2010

A glut of cucumbers

I went to tidy up the cucumbers today - our plants are twined through netting so in theory they grow vertically, but the plants often have other ideas - and found six huge cucumbers hiding underneath the leaves. I weighed them all after picking and those six came to 4134g between them. One beast alone weighs 1.1kg!
We've been sharing and trading with the neighbours, so in exchange for two of these I now have a head of cauliflower, a posy of sweet peas, and a couple of lemons, but that still leaves us with four huge cucumbers to eat before they go off. I think I'll have to find some more homes for them!

That's the cucumber trellis in the background of this photo. Haven't they grown wild? There are three plants there - two telegraph cucumbers and one other one whose type I have forgotten. I've never grown this before but based on this year's results I certainly will be growing them again. Now I just need to find a few recipes other than salad that use the stuff so we can actually enjoy it rather than giving it away!

1 comment:

  1. My goodness, that looks a bit rude!

    ReplyDelete