Friday 17 July 2009

Planning ahead

Here in New Zealand it is the middle of winter, which makes it difficult for me to actually do any gardening, but I sure can dream.

A few days ago I purchased a copy of Mel Bartholomew's book, Square Foot Gardening. This is THE reference book for those who are interested in the square foot approach, since Mel was the man who invented it (or at least polished and packaged it into something anybody can follow). Having taken note of the recipe for the soil he recommends for filling the containers (one third vermiculite, one third peat moss, one third compost), I set out to find some suppliers. The only place that I could find nearby selling vermiculite had it at $69 per 100 litre bag. Ouch! Luckily I managed to track down a supplier just outside town, Egmont Commercial, who will also sell to the public. Their 100 litre bags of vermiculite worked out at about $33 each, which is considerably cheaper. I also picked up a large bale of peat moss (about $27 for 150l) and a roll of weed mat.

The garden is far too wet and cold to start building any container beds yet, but I can gradually buy everything I need and then we'll be ready to go in a couple of months.

No comments:

Post a Comment