Monday 30 November 2009

Lessons learnt

These are the lessons that I have learnt so far this gardening season. I am recording them here for posterity and so I don't do the same thing next year!

  • Do not plant any silverbeet. It quickly grows too large for salad and I don't like it much after that. If my husband wants some he can plant his own.
  • Stagger the lettuce plantings for a constant supply, rather than (as I have now) ten beautiful big heads of lettuce being eaten by insects because I can't keep up with it.
  • Plant more strawberries. (I may revisit this at the end of strawberry season, but right now it seems like I don't have enough.)
  • Don't bother with radishes. It's nice to have something homegrown right at the start of the season, but neither of us like them enough to make it worthwhile.
  • Don't plant anything behind broccoli. Broccoli plants are enormous, way bigger than one square each, and their leaves completely block the sunlight from the soil around them.
I'm sure there'll be lots more lessons learnt as time goes by. This'll do for starters!

No comments:

Post a Comment